Sunday 5 December 2010

It's Addictive...And I Know I Should Resist Temptation...

But I can't help the fact that studying Japanese just seems so much more interesting than the rest of life right now. T_T
Oh woe I had a bad feeling about this. There was something churning in my gut that said once November was over I'd hit the lazy hay. I've got Christmas cards which I should be making, I'm about 5,000 words behind on my NaNoFiMo, I've a package that needs sending, blogging that should be getting finished...and what am I actually doing? Sitting in front of my laptop, glued to the internet watching Bleach episodes and surfing on language learning sites. I re-discovered LiveMocha.com and I've been surfing around there. I feel glued! Anime and 日本語 (nihongo = Japanese) are taking over my life. I should be writing!

On top of that the weather here is horrific. Cold. Snow. And LOTS of it. It literally turned from a grew to a winter wonderland
scene overnight, and I'm not kidding. I'm not even exaggerating. One night I got to bed and I can see the same old asphalt I've been staring at all summer. I wake up in the morning and everything is white. Now I don't want to put one foot out of the door. It's not really the cold that bothers me, it's the ritual of preparations that I have to go through before walking 50 metres to...get the post. It's ridiculous. I mean look at that scene!!

I just noticed that in a single day at the end of November I'd written nearly 9,000 words. Yeah, I smashed nearly 1/5 of November's bounty in 24 hours of brutal, non-stop and slightly excruciating typing. Right now, just like after drawing a great picture, I look at it with hindsight and say "how the hell did I pull that off?" But it was done. It was possible and it was done. So now I think that if I could get through that catching up with all the deadlines fast approaching right now isn't actually half as difficult as it might feel. So I will pull myself together now and catch up. That's a promise!

Tomorrow I'll be posting my first book recommendation about a story by a talented up-and-coming writer, Fun London. I love reading works by other budding novelists. I've come across works by non-published authors which have made me think "just exactly why isn't this published again? It's darn well good enough to be!" This is one of them. But more on that tomorrow.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to sneak off for another guilty Bleach episode (at 1.20 AM) =^_^=

No comments:

Post a Comment